2023 Tryout Process
2023 Tryout/Evaluation Process
RED DEER MINOR HOCKEY EVALUATIONS FOR 2023
- The RDMH player evaluation process will begin at AA hockey, where evaluation scores will be collected and entered into our computer program.
- Black and White games will only be held for all levels that we are considered a "zone" team.
- In the male stream, this will include U18AAA, U17AAA, and U15AAA. In the female stream this will include U18AAA, U18AA, U15AA, and U13AA.
- In AAA, all of these teams are considered to be "Coach Pick", and no evaluation scores are collected or entered by RDMH.
- Our General Manager Dallas Gaume oversees all AAA tryouts.
- Our Division Coordinator and our GM will oversee all of the AA/A tryouts.
- To provide a fair and consistent evaluation of a players hockey ability.
- To ensure that all players have a reasonable opportunity of being selected to a team appropriate to their skill level.
- To provide consistency and transparency in the evaluation process, so that players and parents can know what to expect.
- To form teams of players with similar skill sets.
- All attempts and efforts will be made, to ensure that the evaluation process is impartial and unbiased.
- RDMH will post the evaluation plan on our website, so all parents and players are familiar with the process.
- Coaches and Independent evaluators will be responsible for evaluating each player and goalie.
- We will have both coaches and independent evaluators for all of the sessions. The RDMH Division coordinator will be one of the independent evaluators.
- We will aim to have the same evaluators do all of the ice sessions at each level.
- A standard evaluation form is used for all divisions, scoring players on a 1-10 scale.
- The evaluation form will only have jersey colour and number on it. No names will be on the evaluation form.
- The evaluators are not to collaborate on player ratings.
- RDMH will input evaluator ratings into a computer program that generates an average rating for each player, based upon the combined evaluator ratings.
- The overall average rating is what is used in the team selection process.
- All evaluators will comply with the RDMH evaluation policies. They will review the evaluation form before all skates, so they are familiar with it.
- Evaluators will try to stay separate at all skates if possible, (depending on the facility), and are not to compare notes or player ratings with anybody. Also, evaluators are not to share opinions or comments with any parents/players or spectators. Maintaining confidentiality is always required.
- At the conclusion of each session the evaluator will hand in his evaluation form to the Division Coordinator or General Manager to get inputted in the computer program.
- Evaluators will not evaluate their own child.
- Refer any questions, concerns or complaints to the Division Coordinator or General Manager.
EVALUATION SKATES FOR AA/A
- All players/goalies that are trying out for AA will start the process together. This is for U11, U13, U15, U16 and U18.
- In U11 we will have 1 SKILL Session, followed by scrimmage sessions.
- In U13, U15, U16 and U18 all the sessions will be scrimmage.
- All sessions will be 60 minutes long.
- At the conclusion of the 3rd session in each division some players will be assigned to City League.
- The remaining players will evaluate in a 4th
- After the 4th evaluation skate, the AA and A teams will be selected. There will also be more players assigned to City League.
- All goaltenders will be evaluated in a specific "goalie session" prior to the start of the evaluation skates for the whole group in their division.
- We will have a specific goalie evaluator present as well as the coach and independent evaluators.
We will do our best to give goalies an evaluation in both the goalie session and the skill/scrimmage sessions. This is dependent upon how many goalies we have registered in the division.
INJURED OR ABSENT PLAYERS
- Players that are injured, or sick and cannot attend all or some of the tryouts will be treated as fairly as possible, and placed with their peer group as to where we thought they would have landed. A number of things will be considered in this case such as; past history of where the player played, previous evaluation scores, and where his/her peers or similar players land.
- Players that are simply absent from the evaluations could potentially be moved down to a lower division.
- Parents must notify the RDMH office if a player will not be able to attend his/her evaluation skate and tell us what the reason is for missing the skate.
- There will be no subjective consideration given for poor performance due to injury or illness.
- We will host (1) team at this level.
- Our team will carry 15 skaters and 2 goalies.
- Coaches may not select any forward ranked lower than the 12th ranked F, and may not select any defence ranked lower than the 8th ranked D, and may not select any goalie ranked lower than the 3rd ranked goalie.
- Teams will be selected after the 4th and final skate with the AA team selecting first, and the A teams after that.
- Team selection is final, coaches are not able to take extra players for their exhibition roster.
- Players not selected for Tiered Hockey will be assigned to City League
- We will host (1) team at this level.
- The team will carry 9F, 6D and 2G
- For exhibition roster, the coach of the AA team may take up to the top 12th ranked forward, top 8th ranked D and top 3 ranked goalie.
- This roster will be selected after the 4th and final skate. The U13 A teams will also select their rosters after the AA roster has been selected.
- At the conclusion of exhibition, the AA coach will finalize roster. The final releases will be placed on the top A team. Teams may have to may releases accordingly.
- Players not selected for Tiered hockey will be assigned to City League.
- We will host 1 team at each of this level.
- This team will typically carry 17 skaters and 2 goalies.
- For exhibition roster may take up to the top 14th Forward, top 8th D, and top 3G.
- Teams will be selected after the 4th and final skate with the AA team selecting first, then the A teams after that.
- Final releases by the AA team, will be placed on the Highest Tiered A team.
- In U15 players not selected at AA or A, will then be assigned to City League.
U16AA and U18AA
- We will host 1 team at these levels.
- We will typically carry 17 skaters and 2 goalies.
- For exhibition rosters the AA team may take up to the 14th ranked forward, the 8th ranked D, and the 3rd ranked goalie.
- Final releases from the AA team will be placed on the highest ranked A team.
- Releases will take place after the 2nd or 3rd skate, depending on the size of group.
- The AA team will select first and the A teams will follow.
- We do not have a City league in these divisions.
FEMALE TEAM SELECTION/EXCEPTIONS
- For those divisions that are smaller in numbers, team selection may take place after the 3rd This may include U18, U17, and U16 male. And U18, U15, U13 and U11 Female.
EVALUATION SKATES FOR CITY LEAGUE
- For all U7, U9, U11, U13, and U15 City League, all players and goalies will receive 1 evaluation and then ranked in order of their evaluation scores.
- The Head Coaches for these Divisions will be the evaluators.
- The rankings are to enable us to try to create equal teams in all of our City leagues.
- If players are absent, sick, or injured we will place them in the order that we think they would have evaluated, with help from their past playing history and coaches that are familiar with the player.
At the conclusion of the evaluations in each division, and team selection, there will be no appeal on player placement.